THIS guy works out??!
Not as much as I should (unfortunately), not as consistently as I should
(worse yet!), and with almost total disregard to diet (heresy!!) and next
to no knowledge of supplements etc. (yikes!) Still, I manage to look and
feel reasonably good for a "fast approaching middle age" gay white male,
North American variety. It helps that my partner, Jeremy, also enjoys
All of which is precis to the following NVFAQ (Not Very Frequently
Where do you work out?
When do you work out? For how long? How often?
- Woodruff Physical Education Center (aka, WoodPEC), Emory
What do you do?
- Generally right after we get off work, i.e., about 5:30 p.m. We try to
go three or four nights a week, generally Monday-Thursday, for about an
hour or so.
So what is a typical week's workout schedule?
- We start with 20-30 minutes of cardio work, then lift weights. WoodPEC
has an excellent indoor track, which is great for taking a brisk walk (I
love walking!) and about a zillion lifecycles (which I'm beginning
to like.) I don't care much for the rowing machines but Jeremy and Reid
prefer them on days when we work legs.
- In terms of weights, we pick a different body part every day, usually
depending on the availability of equipment, and then do three-four
exercises, generally three sets per exercise, and six to 10 reps per set
(I prefer using lower reps and higher weights).
Does it work?
- Monday (legs): squats (Richard), Cybex horizontal hack squat (Jeremy
and Reid), Cybex leg curls, Cybex leg extensions.
- Tuesday (chest): flat bench, incline bench, decline bench.
- Wednesday (shoulders / back): Cybex military press, Cybex lat
pulldowns, Cybex rows, Cybex side lateral raises.
- Thursday (arms): barbell curls or Cybex curls, Cybex triceps
Created: March 7, 1997
- DOB: Richard, 4-11-58; Jeremy, 12-11-70
- Height: Richard, 5'10 1/2"; Jeremy, 5'8 1/2"
- Weight: Richard, 210 lbs.; Jeremy, 135 lbs.
- Hair color: brown (both)
- Eye color: brown (both)
Return to What Bodybuilding Means to Me